Congratulations on a fantastic first week of school. It was such a pleasure meeting all my new students, and also seeing many returning faces as well. Thank you to those of you have signed up for these “Weekly Updates” for the first time. I hope you find these helpful. Last week we really focused on rules/expectations, so I’m very excited to start really singing this week!
Reminder: This year students are going to need 1 folder this year (any color you’d like) and about 3 mechanical pencils (so we don’t need to use the pencil sharpener). Students will be marked unprepared this week if they do not have these materials.
Due this week: Signed “Chorus Handbook” forms (page 15) are due on Friday. If you have misplaced or lost the handbook, you can print it out from the homepage on my website: www.roslynmschorus.org
The website: Please try to find answers to frequently asked questions on my website. I have sections for NYSSMA, All-County, Spotlight, Chorale, Chorus, as well as calendars, sign-ups, printables, and more. This is a key resource for you this year.
NYSSMA/ALL-COUNTY: For those of you interested in applying to be in All-County, forms will be going out next week. I will attach the form to next week’s Weekly Update and I will also send them home with interested students. The deadline is October 1st for this form, but more about that to come next week!
**I have included under this email the “Weekly Update” I sent home last week so you can see anything you may have missed, although all updates (even those from years past) can be found on my website as well**
I have updated the website: www.roslynmschorus.org to include all kinds of new additions. Please check it out, as there are many new exciting items. Many things have been added to the calendars, so please add them to your own calendars.
The following are updates for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. For those of you new to Weekly Updates, you can find previous newsletters on my website: www.roslynmschorus.org. If you would like to unsubscribe to these emails, please respond to this email with: “UNSUBSCRIBE”. You are automatically subscribed if you send an email regarding Chorus, Chorale, or Spotlight.
1. There is a MANDATORY meeting that parents are not required to come to, but are invited, on September 18th @ 3:00 in the auditorium. Anyone interested in participating on stage or back stage should attend this meeting. The meeting should be about 30 minutes. If you cannot attend the meeting, please send me an email.
2. Auditions for “Les Miserables” are going to be September 25th, 27th, and 28th from 2:15-4:45. Sign-ups will begin after the meeting on September 18th. You only need to sign-up for one date and time.
3. Below are the songs that will be required for the audition. Please look under the “Spotlight” tab on my website for additional details.
“In My Life”- Soprano
“There Is a Castle”- Child soprano
“I Dreamed a Dream”- Mezzo-soprano
“Little Fall of Rain”- Mezzo-soprano (DO NOT PREPARE “ON MY OWN”)
“Master of the House”- Alto
“Bring Him Home”- Tenor
“Javert’s Suicide”- Baritone
“Empty Chairs At Empty Tables”- Tenor
“Do You Hear the People Sing”- Baritone/Tenor
“Little People”- Male child
“Master of the House”- Baritone/Tenor
CHORALE (7th/8th grade select chorus)
1. The new Chorale schedule this year will Mondays and Wednesdays with sectionals on Fridays. You will not need to attend every Friday. This week the schedule is:
Monday & Wednesday and Soprano Sectional Friday. This means everyone will come Monday and Wednesday and only sopranos will come on Friday.
2. We will be singing tomorrow at the 9/11 performance at school, 2nd period. Students will come down to the chorus room at the end of 1st period. We are wearing white tops (it’s ok if it has a little bit of writing on it) and black bottoms.
3. We were accepted to sing at a Jet’s game on December 3rd! Please mark it off on your calendars.
4. Please bring the last page of the red handbook signed by Friday.
1. Pencils/pens and folders are due this week. You will be marked unprepared if you do not come to class with these.
2. The last page of the handbook is due on Friday. If you have lost or misplaced the handbook, another copy can be found on the homepage of my website: www.roslynmschorus.org
3. Please access the “Print at Home” link as well for anything you have misplaced.
I’m looking forward to a fun-filled FULL week of school. Have a great rest of your Sunday.
All the best,