Weekly Update 11/19/17
Good afternoon! I hope everyone has a nice three day week. This is a reminder that Wednesday is a condensed schedule and a half day for students. I’m very excited to be singing solo some Broadway songs this Tuesday evening in the theater district in Manhattan. If you ever have your child performing locally (or not so locally) and you’d like me to post here, I would love to.
Reminder that auditions for all chorus and Chorale solos will be this week tomorrow (Monday) during extra-help and Tuesday morning before school (any time until 7:30)
Lunch Chorus this week:
Monday: A day, 7th grade
Tuesday: B day, CANCELLED
Wednesday: A day, CANCELLED, all students will be in an assembly with administrators during their lunch periods
****NYSSMA letters can be found here: https://www.roslynschools.org/Page/505. *******
If your child needs help finding a song, we can start looking in the manual either before school or after school during extra-help to find a good match. For students in chorus, we do Level 3 sight-singing every day, so if your child would like to sing a higher level song, we can work on that during extra-help.
Important note for NYSSMA: It is better to get a higher score on an appropriate level than it is to get a lower score on a higher level. All-County decisions are based on an algorithm that takes higher SCORES over higher levels. It is recommended that students find a private voice teacher if they are planning on going to NYSSMA although it is not required. Private teachers can be found on my website under “Private Teachers”.
For those new to emails…. welcome to my “Weekly Updates”! This is where the most important information can be found for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. It’s very important you read the parts of this email that pertain to your child’s performing group, as they may not be involved in everything.
Reminder: If students lose their music or workbooks, they can print them out from my website under “Print at Home” or “Chorus” links.
The website: Please try to find answers to frequently asked questions on my website. I have sections for NYSSMA, All-County, Spotlight, Chorale, Chorus, as well as calendars, sign-ups, printables, and more. This is a key resource for you this year.
The following are updates for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. For those of you new to Weekly Updates, you can find previous newsletters on my website: www.roslynmschorus.org. If you would like to unsubscribe to these emails, please respond to this email with: “UNSUBSCRIBE”. You are automatically subscribed if you send an email regarding Chorus, Chorale, or Spotlight.
If you ever have any questions, concerns, comments, or just want to chat, never hesitate to call, email, or use the “Remind” app.
1. This week rehearsals are the following (Students should check the scene breakdown page I gave them to see if they are needed at rehearsals…”x” means they are needed…”blank” means they are not needed):
Monday (2:45-4:45)- Scenes 1-14 (Prologue- Do You Hear the People Sing”), EVERYONE
Wednesday (2:45-4:45)- None
Thursday (2:45-4:45)- None
**Students are still expected to bring a note if they have an excused absence from rehearsal**
2. Thank you thank you thank you to those helping with props. This is not mandatory, but it will help significantly: Please find 3-4 things on my website under the Spotlight links and “Props” tab that you can commit to. We need to know ASAP we do have in-house so we know what we need to purchase and borrow from the HS. Thank you!
3. Our choreographer, Tyler Patrick Matos, will be joining us for the first time tomorrow! We are so excited to have him, and he will be with us for the majority of our rehearsals from now on.
4. Students should bring a pencil, their script, water, snacks, and homework to each rehearsal. No phones are allowed while rehearsing.
5. **READ CAREFULLY** We are going to be adding bios in the program. These are due via EMAIL ONLY no later than December 1st. Students are limited to 250 words (LAST WEEK I WROTE 150…IF YOU WANT TO ADD TO YOUR BIO TO MAKE IT 250 LET ME KNOW) and can include past performances, performing groups, and message to the cast…I now have about 10 bios. Thank you for getting them in!
6. Playbill ad letters, order form, and one-liners are due Jan. 5th. Reminder that everyone involved must sell 2 advertisements (this does not include one-liners) You can also find all these forms here: https://roslynmschorus.org/printable-forms/
7. The FULL calendar is on my website on the homepage if you scroll down, as well as under the Spotlight tab.
8. Thank you to parents with kids in RCP who responded to my emails. To make things a little more organized, I’m going to plan a meeting with RCP kids. Please talk to your RCP kids, if you have kids in RCP of course, and email me back with preferable times. I can come on a Monday while Ms. Bellsey and Mr. Matos are rehearsing.
9. Students interested in backstage should please contact either me or Ari Kohl, our student stage manger (8th grade).
**CHORALE (7th/8th grade select chorus)
1. The new Chorale schedule this year will Mondays and Wednesdays with sectionals on Fridays. You will not need to attend every Friday. This week the schedule is:
Monday- EVERYONE/ Wednesday- EVERYONE/ Friday- NONE
2. JETS IMPORTANT INFO:
– Permission slips have been distributed in hard copy and emailed. Let me know ASAP if you need one as they are due on Wedesday
-If you are planning on driving your child you will still need to give me a permission slip stating that
– If you are planning on having your child take the bus on the way there and driving them home, you need a form from me, which I can give your child tomorrow. I need that by Wednesday as well.
– We are leaving at 8am on December 3rd and coming back approximately at 6pm. We are taking a coach bus provided by the district
– Once we get to the stadium, students will be given lunch by the JETS, and will have a sound check around 10am
– Students will NOT be sitting on the field anymore, but very close to it.
– We have 8 teacher chaperones, unfortunately no parents can come as chaperones
– I emailed codes this week. If you have NOT received a code, please email me ASAP so I can get that t you.
– The link on the page is not working for many. Please type the following directly into the browser: jetsgroups.com/roslyn
– SO EXCITING: The Jets have offered to give us a percentage of our ticket sales as a fundraiser, so the more tickets we sell, the more money we make
3. Please check the Chorale calendar on my website regularly, as I update it all the time. You can even add that google calendar to your own by pressing “ADD CALENDAR” at the bottom of the calendar.
4. For the concert we are singing:
“You Will Be Found”
“What I Did For Love”
There will be solos in “You Will Be Found”, auditions will be this week tomorrow (Monday) during extra-help and Tuesday morning before school (any time until 7:30)
5. In-school rehearsals for our concert are the following:
Dec. 6th, Period 2
Dec. 13th, Period 1
6. Our concert is December 13th at 7pm (new time) at the HS. Students arrive at 6:30pm.
7. Our sweatshirts/shirts should be in this week or next week. Reminder that this is what we will be wearing for our performance at Metlife Stadium.
1. IMPORTANT: Concert dates
December 5th- 6th grade, 7pm, at the HS, Students arrive at 6:30pm
December 11th- 7th/8th grade, 7pm, at the HS, students arrive at 6:30pm
2. The following songs have been chosen for the concert:
6th: “This Ol’ Man”**, “California Dreamin'”, “Cantar”**, and “I’m Yours”
7th/8th: “New York State of Mind”**, “I’ll Be Missing You”**, “Waving Through a Window”**, Winter Song
Songs with ** indicate that there is a solo (or solos) in that song. Auditions will be this week tomorrow (Monday) during extra-help and Tuesday morning before school (any time until 7:30)
3. There are TWO in school rehearsals per performing group that combine all sections of chorus to practice before our concert. Sometimes different class sections learn different parts, and we need to learn how to put it all together. Your child will be missing two class periods on two different days for these in school rehearsals. All teachers are aware of these rehearsals, as this has been a long-standing tradition at Roslyn Middle School. Tests will not be given on these periods, and students will be excused from their classes. The following are the in-school rehearsals:
6th grade: Dec. 4th (periods 3 & 4) and Dec. 5th (periods 2 & 3).
7th/8th grade: Dec. 8th (periods 1 & 2) and Dec. 11th (periods 3 & 4)
4. I distributed the Quarter 2 workbook last week and the week before. From now on students need to bring this workbook to be prepared.
Thank you for your continuous support….have a great week!
All my best,