Weekly Update 12/3/17
Good evening everyone! I hope everyone had a great weekend. The Chorale sounded PERFECT today at the Jets game where they performed the Star Spangled Banner. I’m including videos and pictures for your enjoyment.
This week begins concert season! Tuesday is our 6th grade concert. If you have any questions, please see below for important information under the “Chorus” section.
Lunch Chorus this week:
Monday: A day, 7th grade
Tuesday: B day, 6th grade
Wednesday: A day, 7th grade
Thursday: B day, 6th grade
Friday: A day, 7th grade
If your child needs help finding a song, we can start looking in the manual either before school or after school during extra-help to find a good match. For students in chorus, we do Level 3 sight-singing every day, so if your child would like to sing a higher level song, we can work on that during extra-help.
Important note for NYSSMA: It is better to get a higher score on an appropriate level than it is to get a lower score on a higher level. All-County decisions are based on an algorithm that takes higher SCORES over higher levels. It is recommended that students find a private voice teacher if they are planning on going to NYSSMA although it is not required. Private teachers can be found on my website under “Private Teachers”.
For those new to emails…. welcome to my “Weekly Updates”! This is where the most important information can be found for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. It’s very important you read the parts of this email that pertain to your child’s performing group, as they may not be involved in everything.
Reminder: If students lose their music or workbooks, they can print them out from my website under “Print at Home” or “Chorus” links.
The website: Please try to find answers to frequently asked questions on my website. I have sections for NYSSMA, All-County, Spotlight, Chorale, Chorus, as well as calendars, sign-ups, printables, and more. This is a key resource for you this year.
The following are updates for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. For those of you new to Weekly Updates, you can find previous newsletters on my website: www.roslynmschorus.org. If you would like to unsubscribe to these emails, please respond to this email with: “UNSUBSCRIBE”. You are automatically subscribed if you send an email regarding Chorus, Chorale, or Spotlight.
If you ever have any questions, concerns, comments, or just want to chat, never hesitate to call, email, or use the “Remind” app.
1. This week rehearsals are the following (Students should check the scene breakdown page I gave them to see if they are needed at rehearsals…”x” means they are needed…”blank” means they are not needed):
Monday (2:45-4:45)- Scene 19 and ACT I Music Rehearsal, EVERYONE
Wednesday (2:45-4:45)- Scenes 18, 20 “Javert at the Barricade” and “One Day More” Everyone
Thursday (2:45-4:45)- Scenes 21 and 22, “First Attack” and “The Night”
Friday (2:15-4:00)- Recommended musical rehearsal…just music
**Students are still expected to bring a note if they have an excused absence from rehearsal**
**REHEARSALS ON WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY WILL BE IN CAFETERIA**
2. I sent home a “Remind” update and an email on Friday that we will be adding some music rehearsals on two Fridays. These are HIGHLY recommended, although not required, since the music is so heavy on music.
3. I also sent home the T-shirt form through email on Friday which is due on December 7th.
4. Reminder that all advertisements are due in January. Students should have received a packet, and I emailed this home as well.
5. BIOS are past due. They were due on Friday. Please get them to me NO LATER than tomorrow afternoon, otherwise your child will not have a bio.
6. Playbill ad letters, order form, and one-liners are due Jan. 5th. Reminder that everyone involved must sell 2 advertisements (this does not include one-liners) You can also find all these forms here: https://roslynmschorus.org/printable-forms/
7. The FULL calendar is on my website on the homepage if you scroll down, as well as under the Spotlight tab.
8. There will be an RCP meeting on 12/7 **CHANGED DATE** at 3:15 at the HS for students interested in helping. This way we can streamline the process and make things a little more organized. I have invited Mr. Occena to join us as well.
9. Students interested in backstage should please contact either me or Ari Kohl, our student stage manger (8th grade).
10. Our Encore Performance will be Feb. 15th at 4pm. Select students will be invited to perform the highlights of the show. More details to come.
**CHORALE (7th/8th grade select chorus)
1. The Chorale schedule this year will Mondays and Wednesdays with sectionals on Fridays. You will not need to attend every Friday. This week the schedule is:
Monday- CANCELLED/ Wednesday- EVERYONE/ Friday- EVERYONE
2. I’m SO SO SO PROUD of everyone today!! This ranks up there with one of the most excited things I’ve done with students. I hope to do something like this again in the future.
3. Please check the Chorale calendar on my website regularly, as I update it all the time. You can even add that google calendar to your own by pressing “ADD CALENDAR” at the bottom of the calendar.
4. For the concert we are singing:
“You Will Be Found”
“What I Did For Love”
There will be solos in “You Will Be Found”, auditions will be this week tomorrow (Monday) during extra-help and Tuesday morning before school (any time until 7:30)
5. In-school rehearsals for our concert are the following:
Dec. 6th, Period 2
Dec. 13th, Period 1
6. Our concert is December 13th at 7pm (new time from last year) at the HS. Students arrive at 6:30pm.
7. The attire for the concert is a formal white top, formal black bottoms, and formal black shoes. Please do not wear black sneakers with white rims.
1. IMPORTANT: Concert dates
December 5th- 6th grade, 7pm, at the HS, Students arrive at 6:30pm
December 11th- 7th/8th grade, 7pm, at the HS, students arrive at 6:30pm
2. The following songs have been chosen for the concert:
6th: “This Ol’ Man”, “California Dreamin'”, “Cantar”, and “I’m Yours”
7th/8th: “New York State of Mind”, “I’ll Be Missing You”, “Waving Through a Window”, Winter Song
3. There are TWO in school rehearsals per performing group that combine all sections of chorus to practice before our concert. Sometimes different class sections learn different parts, and we need to learn how to put it all together. Your child will be missing two class periods on two different days for these in school rehearsals. All teachers are aware of these rehearsals, as this has been a long-standing tradition at Roslyn Middle School. Tests will not be given on these periods, and students will be excused from their classes. The following are the in-school rehearsals:
6th grade: *CHANGE* Dec. 4th (periods 3 & 4) and Dec. 5th (periods 1 & 2). Originally it was supposed to be periods 2 & 3 on Dec. 5th.
7th/8th grade: Dec. 8th (periods 1 & 2) and Dec. 11th (periods 3 & 4)
4. There are no tickets for the performances, it’s first come, first serve seating at the concerts
5. Reminder that students should be wearing formal black pants, black shoes, and a formal white top. Please look online or in the handbook for what is appropriate. No jeans will be allowed. Students in band and orchestra have the same attire.
6. The concert is mandatory as students are graded on their participation as a test grade. If students miss the concert for any unexcused reason, they will need to sing the songs by themselves at another time. Excused absences are the same as they would be for school attendance: sick, family emergency, etc. Sports games do not count as an excused absence. Students will be graded on the following, which adds to a test grade:
In-school rehearsals (20 points x 2 days = 40 points), concert attire (20 points), transition on and off stage (20 points), participation on stage (20 points).
Thank you for your continuous support….have a great week!
All my best,