Weekly Update 12/10/17
Good morning! I am SOOO proud of our 6th graders on completing their first middle school concert last Tuesday! Tomorrow we will have our 7th/8th grade concert and Wednesday will be Chorale. Thursday evening Chorale will also be honored at a Board of Education meeting for singing the National Anthem last weekend at MetLife Stadium. This is going to be a very busy week indeed!
In-school rehearsals this week:
Monday: CHORUS, periods 3 & 4 in auditorium
Wednesday: CHORALE, period 1 in auditorium
Lunch Chorus this week:
Monday: B day, 6th grade
Tuesday: A day, 7th grade
Wednesday: B day, 6th grade
Thursday: A day, 7th grade
Friday: B day, 6th grade
****NYSSMA letters can be found here: https://www.roslynschools.org/Page/505. *******
If your child needs help finding a song, we can start looking in the manual either before school or after school during extra-help to find a good match. For students in chorus, we do Level 3 sight-singing every day, so if your child would like to sing a higher level song, we can work on that during extra-help.
Important note for NYSSMA: It is better to get a higher score on an appropriate level than it is to get a lower score on a higher level. All-County decisions are based on an algorithm that takes higher SCORES over higher levels. It is recommended that students find a private voice teacher if they are planning on going to NYSSMA although it is not required. Private teachers can be found on my website under “Private Teachers”.
For those new to emails…. welcome to my “Weekly Updates”! This is where the most important information can be found for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. It’s very important you read the parts of this email that pertain to your child’s performing group, as they may not be involved in everything.
Reminder: If students lose their music or workbooks, they can print them out from my website under “Print at Home” or “Chorus” links.
The website: Please try to find answers to frequently asked questions on my website. I have sections for NYSSMA, All-County, Spotlight, Chorale, Chorus, as well as calendars, sign-ups, printables, and more. This is a key resource for you this year.
The following are updates for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. For those of you new to Weekly Updates, you can find previous newsletters on my website: www.roslynmschorus.org. If you would like to unsubscribe to these emails, please respond to this email with: “UNSUBSCRIBE”. You are automatically subscribed if you send an email regarding Chorus, Chorale, or Spotlight.
If you ever have any questions, concerns, comments, or just want to chat, never hesitate to call, email, or use the “Remind” app.
1. This week rehearsals are the following (Students should check the scene breakdown page I gave them to see if they are needed at rehearsals…”x” means they are needed…”blank” means they are not needed):
Monday (2:45-4:45)- CANCELLED FOR CONCERT
Tuesday (2:15-4:45)- Scenes 18-22, EVERYONE
Wednesday (2:45-4:45)- CANCELLED FOR CONCERT
Thursday (2:45-4:45)- Scenes 23 & 24
Friday (2:15-4:00)- Music rehearsal for scenes 23-30
**Students are still expected to bring a note if they have an excused absence from rehearsal**
**REHEARSALS ON TUESDAY WILL BE IN CAFETERIA…Thursday will be back in auditorium**
2. On a more serious note…we need to address some concerning behaviors during rehearsals. For the past two weeks we have been having the beginning of rehearsal in two different rooms (new material in one room and review with Mr. Matos and Ms. Bellsey in the other) and then we join again for the second part of rehearsal. There is a lot going on, and students are often needed for long extended periods of time. We need all students to be ready, off their phones, and prompt, so they are on time with their entrances, remembering their lines and blocking, and ready for feedback. Please take a moment to review rehearsal expectations with your child so we can have the best show we can have. We know they can do it!! Thank you in advance for your support with this!
3. T-SHIRT $$ IS PAST DUE. The order is being placed tomorrow. If you have not turned in t-shirt money, your child will not be guaranteed a shirt in their size or color preference. You can find the t-shirt order form on my website.
4. Reminder that every child must sell two advertisements. Attached to this email is another copy of the advertisement paper. You can also go to businesses to get their business cards or even stores around town. The more $ we generate with advertisements, the better Spotlight can be!
5. Thank you to RCP students who are volunteering to assist our show in all different ways!! We thank you for your service!!
**CHORALE (7th/8th grade select chorus)
1. The Chorale schedule this year will Mondays and Wednesdays with sectionals on Fridays. You will not need to attend every Friday. This week the schedule is:
Monday- EVERYONE/ Wednesday- EVERYONE/ Friday- CANCELLED
2. Reminder that Wednesday is our concert @ 7pm (new time from last year) at the HS. Students should be there by 6:30 for our warm-up and practice. Dress is black bottoms and white tops. Formal black shoes.
3. Thursday we are being honored at the Board of Education meeting at 8pm. We are going to sing “You Will Be Found”. Students should wear their black Chorale sweatshirts/t-shirts and black bottoms.
4. For the concert we are singing:
“You Will Be Found”
“What I Did For Love”
5. In-school rehearsals for our concert are the following:
Dec. 13th, Period 1
1. IMPORTANT: Concert date
December 11th- 7th/8th grade, 7pm, at the HS, students arrive at 6:30pm
2. The following songs have been chosen for the concert:
7th/8th: “New York State of Mind”, “I’ll Be Missing You”, “Waving Through a Window”, Winter Song
3. There are TWO in school rehearsals per performing group that combine all sections of chorus to practice before our concert. Sometimes different class sections learn different parts, and we need to learn how to put it all together. Your child will be missing two class periods on two different days for these in school rehearsals. All teachers are aware of these rehearsals, as this has been a long-standing tradition at Roslyn Middle School. Tests will not be given on these periods, and students will be excused from their classes. The following are the in-school rehearsals:
7th/8th grade: Dec. 11th (periods 3 & 4)
4. There are no tickets for the performances, it’s first come, first serve seating at the concerts.
5. Reminder that students should be wearing formal black pants, black shoes, and a formal white top. Please look online or in the handbook for what is appropriate. No jeans will be allowed. Students in band and orchestra have the same attire.
6. The concert is mandatory as students are graded on their participation as a test grade. If students miss the concert for any unexcused reason, they will need to sing the songs by themselves at another time. Excused absences are the same as they would be for school attendance: sick, family emergency, etc. Sports games do not count as an excused absence. Students will be graded on the following, which adds to a test grade:
In-school rehearsals (20 points x 2 days = 40 points), concert attire (20 points), transition on and off stage (20 points), participation on stage (20 points).
Thank you for your continuous support….have a great week!
All my best,