Weekly Update 1/1/18
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Welcome to 2018! I hope you had a wonderful holiday vacation filled with joy and relaxation. While I enjoyed the break, I’m looking forward to coming back tomorrow and seeing all my students again! I can’t wait to dive into our new repertoire.
We are officially about a month and a week away from our production of “Les Miserables”. I’m so excited for a fantastic show. We need a lot of wooden furniture for our set. Last week I went “dumpster diving” and to many thrift stores to find things to nail to our barricade set.
Lunch Chorus this week:
Monday: NO SCHOOL
Tuesday: B day, 6th grade
Wednesday: A day, 7th grade
Thursday: B day, 6th grade
Friday: A day, 7th grade
****NYSSMA letters can be found here: https://www.roslynschools.org/Page/505. *******
If your child needs help finding a song, we can start looking in the manual either before school or after school during extra-help to find a good match. For students in chorus, we do Level 3 sight-singing every day, so if your child would like to sing a higher level song, we can work on that during extra-help.
Important note for NYSSMA: It is better to get a higher score on an appropriate level than it is to get a lower score on a higher level. All-County decisions are based on an algorithm that takes higher SCORES over higher levels. It is recommended that students find a private voice teacher if they are planning on going to NYSSMA although it is not required. Private teachers can be found on my website under “Private Teachers”.
For those new to emails…. welcome to my “Weekly Updates”! This is where the most important information can be found for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. It’s very important you read the parts of this email that pertain to your child’s performing group, as they may not be involved in everything.
Reminder: If students lose their music or workbooks, they can print them out from my website under “Print at Home” or “Chorus” links.
The website: Please try to find answers to frequently asked questions on my website. I have sections for NYSSMA, All-County, Spotlight, Chorale, Chorus, as well as calendars, sign-ups, printables, and more. This is a key resource for you this year.
The following are updates for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. For those of you new to Weekly Updates, you can find previous newsletters on my website: www.roslynmschorus.org. If you would like to unsubscribe to these emails, please respond to this email with: “UNSUBSCRIBE”. You are automatically subscribed if you send an email regarding Chorus, Chorale, or Spotlight.
If you ever have any questions, concerns, comments, or just want to chat, never hesitate to call, email, or use the “Remind” app.
1. This week rehearsals are the following (Students should check the scene breakdown page I gave them to see if they are needed at rehearsals…”x” means they are needed…”blank” means they are not needed):
Monday (2:45-4:45)- NONE
Tuesday (2:15-4:45)- NONE
Wednesday (2:45-4:45)- Scenes 28 & 29 (Wedding Scene)
Thursday (2:45-4:45)- Scenes 29 & 30 (Wedding scene/Epilogue)
Friday (2:15-4:00)- NONE
**Students are still expected to bring a note if they have an excused absence from rehearsal**
2. We are almost there!!! I’m so proud of the run throughs we had the last week before the vacation. We are an AMAZING shape. You should be very proud!
3. Attendance is critical in the month of January. Please do not schedule doctor appointments or other lessons during this time. Just like a basketball team cannot be without their defense or offense, a show needs everyone there when we run a scene. Please make these rehearsals top priority.
4. All of Act I and Act II (except for scenes 29 & 30) should be off-book at this point. Students should be following along during rehearsals so they know where we are.
5. Reminder that every child must sell two advertisements. THESE ARE DUE JANUARY 7TH. Attached to this email is another copy of the advertisement paper. You can also go to businesses to get their business cards or even stores around town. The more $ we generate with advertisements, the better Spotlight can be!
6. This week many things are going to start going home such as dinner order forms, t-shirts, ticket forms, etc. Please ask your child after rehearsals if they have anything to give you. As always, these forms will be available online and will be emailed.
7. LET’S DO THIS!!!!
**CHORALE (7th/8th grade select chorus)
1. The Chorale schedule this year will Mondays and Wednesdays with sectionals on Fridays. You will not need to attend every Friday. This week the schedule is:
Monday- NO SCHOOL/ Wednesday- EVERYONE/ Friday- EVERYONE
2. Some more trips may be in the works, stay tuned!
3. The songs we will be learning (as of right now) are the following:
This Is Me (from the Greatest Showman)
All That They Had They Gave (Andrea Ramsey)
Baba Yetu (from the Civilization Video Game)
We Are One (Brian Tate)
A New World Opening (from Songs for a New World)
1. I hope everyone had a fantastic vacation! The following songs are going to be distributed this week:
7th/8th grade chorus-
How To Save a Life (by the Fray)
No Day But Today (from Rent)
Photograph/Perfect (Ed Sheeran)
Lean On Me
6th grade chorus-
Can You Hear Me (incorporating Sign Language)
Get Back Up Again (Anna Kendrick)
When I Close My Eyes (Jim Papoulis)
Perfect/Photograph (Ed Sheeran)
You Can’t Stop the Beat (from Hairspray)
2. Please remind your child to bring their folder, workbook, and pencil to class this week!
Thank you always for your continuous support. Have a terrific 2018!
All my best,