Weekly Update 12/17/17
Happy holidays!! This past week was extremely busy! Congratulations to everyone who performed this week. I’m so proud of our 7th and 8th graders who had many technical challenges throughout their performance and carried on. I’m sure you’ve heard we had some other challenges with our accompaniments, and our students persevered! Huge shout out to Owen Edelstein on his amazing saxophone solo and William Xu for his talented drumming. Congratulations also to our Chorale who performed at the board meeting on Thursday, they brought the room to tears. I hope everyone has a great week before vacation. Happy holidays and safe travels!
This week we had high school students come down to the middle school to perform for each other and with each other. I’m attaching some pictures and a video from the experience.
**Please make sure your scroll down to your child’s performing group to read the updates for this week*
Lunch Chorus this week:
Monday: A day, 7th grade
Tuesday: B day, 6th grade
Thursday: B day, 6th grade
Friday: A day, 7th grade
****NYSSMA letters can be found here: https://www.roslynschools.org/Page/505. *******
If your child needs help finding a song, we can start looking in the manual either before school or after school during extra-help to find a good match. For students in chorus, we do Level 3 sight-singing every day, so if your child would like to sing a higher level song, we can work on that during extra-help.
Important note for NYSSMA: It is better to get a higher score on an appropriate level than it is to get a lower score on a higher level. All-County decisions are based on an algorithm that takes higher SCORES over higher levels. It is recommended that students find a private voice teacher if they are planning on going to NYSSMA although it is not required. Private teachers can be found on my website under “Private Teachers”.
For those new to emails…. welcome to my “Weekly Updates”! This is where the most important information can be found for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. It’s very important you read the parts of this email that pertain to your child’s performing group, as they may not be involved in everything.
Reminder: If students lose their music or workbooks, they can print them out from my website under “Print at Home” or “Chorus” links.
The website: Please try to find answers to frequently asked questions on my website. I have sections for NYSSMA, All-County, Spotlight, Chorale, Chorus, as well as calendars, sign-ups, printables, and more. This is a key resource for you this year.
The following are updates for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. For those of you new to Weekly Updates, you can find previous newsletters on my website: www.roslynmschorus.org. If you would like to unsubscribe to these emails, please respond to this email with: “UNSUBSCRIBE”. You are automatically subscribed if you send an email regarding Chorus, Chorale, or Spotlight.
If you ever have any questions, concerns, comments, or just want to chat, never hesitate to call, email, or use the “Remind” app.
1. This week rehearsals are the following (Students should check the scene breakdown page I gave them to see if they are needed at rehearsals…”x” means they are needed…”blank” means they are not needed):
Monday (2:45-4:45)- Scenes 25 and 26
Tuesday (2:15-4:45)- NONE
Wednesday (2:45-4:45)- Act I (RUN THROUGH)
Thursday (2:45-4:45)- Act II (RUN THROUGH to Javert’s Suicide)
Friday (2:15-4:00)- NONE
**Students are still expected to bring a note if they have an excused absence from rehearsal**
2. This past week had a few unexcused absences. Please make sure you bring a note and the reason you are missing rehearsal is a true “excused” absence. We are getting closer to the show and we need everyone present who is in the scenes we are rehearsing. When students are absent we have to go back and block them in, which takes time away from other scenes.
3. Students should be memorizing their lines at this point for scenes we have already rehearsed. Everyone should be off-book for Act I and Act II until the attack scenes. Please listen to the soundtrack, and practice. Parents can help memorize by having students perform the scenes for them. Students can help each other memorize while they are not performing at rehearsal.
4. Reminder that every child must sell two advertisements. Attached to this email is another copy of the advertisement paper. You can also go to businesses to get their business cards or even stores around town. The more $ we generate with advertisements, the better Spotlight can be!
5. Thank you to all the RCP students who would have been helping us. Unfortunately students will not be able to be in the RCP production and help with Spotlight if they are missing an RCP rehearsal for Spotlight. I appreciate it so much that they were willing to help, but I don’t want to take away from their production!
**CHORALE (7th/8th grade select chorus)
1. The Chorale schedule this year will Mondays and Wednesdays with sectionals on Fridays. You will not need to attend every Friday. This week the schedule is:
Monday- EVERYONE/ Wednesday- EVERYONE/ Friday- CANCELLED
2. We will be singing at the teacher’s holiday luncheon on Wednesday for the first 10 minutes of each period, periods 5, 6, 7. This is what we will be practicing on Monday and Wednesday mornings.
3. Again, thank you so much for the gifts at the board meeting. This year has been such an amazing experience with these students. I’m blown away every time I heard them sing. Thank you so much for taking the time to bring them to rehearsal three times a week!
1. Again, I’m so proud of everyone from finishing their concerts! For the spring concerts, my promise to the 7th and 8th graders is that all the microphones will work, and I will be playing the piano!
2. We are in the process of choosing our spring concert songs. If you have any requests, please send a brief story of why the song is important to you, and I will make an effort to include it if I feel the song is vocally appropriate and we can fit it into our program!
3. Have an amazing vacation!!
Thank you for your continuous support….have a great week!
All my best,