Weekly Update 1/21/18…just a reminder to scroll all the way down to your child’s performing group.
I hope you enjoyed a warm(er) weekend than usual. Some individual parts (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass) to learn our chorus songs will be uploaded on my website by the end of the week, as I have already begun to record them. They will be under the tab that says “Chorus” and then… “Current 7th/8th Grade Repertoire”, “Current 6th Grade Repertoire”, or “Current Chorale Repertoire”. This way students can practice at home. Our Spotlight production is also now 2 weeks away!! If you would like a ticket and your child is not in the performance, you can download the “Community Form” off my website and submit to me.
NYSSMA: NYSSMA FORMS ARE PAST DUE…IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE EMAIL ME ASAP!!
Lunch Chorus this week:
Monday: A day, 7th grade
Tuesday: B day, 6th grade
Wednesday: A day, 7th grade
Thursday: B day, 6th grade
Friday: A day, 7th grade
For those new to emails…. welcome to my “Weekly Updates”! This is where the most important information can be found for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. It’s very important you read the parts of this email that pertain to your child’s performing group, as they may not be involved in everything.
Reminder: If students lose their music or workbooks, they can print them out from my website under “Print at Home” or “Chorus” links.
The website: Please try to find answers to frequently asked questions on my website. I have sections for NYSSMA, All-County, Spotlight, Chorale, Chorus, as well as calendars, sign-ups, printables, and more. This is a key resource for you this year.
The following are updates for Chorus, Chorale, and Spotlight. For those of you new to Weekly Updates, you can find previous newsletters on my website: www.roslynmschorus.org. If you would like to unsubscribe to these emails, please respond to this email with: “UNSUBSCRIBE”. You are automatically subscribed if you send an email regarding Chorus, Chorale, or Spotlight.
If you ever have any questions, concerns, comments, or just want to chat, never hesitate to call, email, or use the “Remind” app.
**SPOTLIGHT….PLEASE READ EVERYTHING!!
1. This week rehearsals are the following:
Monday (2:45-4:45)- Scenes 1-10 (I am changing something slightly in Scene 1/Prologue for all boys…make sure they are all there on time!!)
Tuesday (2:15-4:45)- NONE
Wednesday (2:45-4:45)- Scenes 11-20
Thursday (2:45-4:45)- Scenes 21-30
Friday (2:15-4:00)- NONE
Saturday (9am-12pm)- Painting/Set Building (All students/parents are welcome)
Sunday (10am-4pm) NONE
***STUDENTS MAY NOT LEAVE EARLY AT THIS POINT***
2. The following is the schedule I emailed home the other day:
Monday 1/22 (2:45-4:45): Scenes 1-10
Wednesday 1/24 (2:45-4:45) Scenes 11-20
Thursday 1/25 (2:45-4:45) Scenes 21-31
Friday 1/26 (2:15-4:45) RUN ACT I
Saturday (1/27) (9am-12pm) Painting/Set Building (Parents are welcome)
Monday 1/29 (2:45-4:45) RUN ACT II
Wednesday 1/31 (2:45-4:45) RUN ACT I
Thursday 2/1 (2:45-4:45) RUN ACT II
Friday 2/2 (3:00-8:00pm) TECH AFTERNOON, Full run-through, WITH TECH
Saturday 2/3: Music rehearsal/Backstage rehearsal
Sunday 2/4 (11am-4pm): FULL RUN-THROUGH
Monday 2/5 (3pm-8pm): FULL DRESS REHEARSAL
Tuesday 2/6 (3pm-8pm): FULL DRESS REHEARSAL
Wednesday 2/7 (3pm-8pm): FULL DRESS REHEARSAL
Thursday 2/8 (3pm call time, 4pm show): Show #1
Friday 2/9 (5:30 call time, 7:30 show) Show #2
Saturday 2/10 (5:30 call time, 7:30 show) Show #3
Sunday 2/11 (12pm call time, 2pm show) Show #4
3. Attendance is critical in the month of January. We are 2 WEEKS away!! Please do not schedule doctor appointments or other lessons during this time. Just like a basketball team cannot be without their defense or offense, a show needs everyone there when we run a scene. Please make these rehearsals top priority.
4. All of Act I and Act II should be off-book at this point. Students should be following along during rehearsals so they know where we are.
5. Please label your flower forms and dinner forms so we know who they belong to, thank you!
6. We may still need a few things for the barricade, although as late as yesterday I said we didn’t. Mr. Sherry was building it and we still need to fill in things…so if you still have any junk you’d like to donate, we will take it!
7. Backstage students should be attending rehearsals from now on.
8. We still NEED tables and 3 chairs for “Master of the House”…cafe style. Please email me if you have anything…we need it by the end of this week so I know how many items I’ll need to buy.
9. We are welcoming a lighting designer: Anthony Tornambene! He will be at all of our shows!
10. Costumes…I found some more links for shoes:
All costumes are being provided by the school. We may need some items, but I will let students know that on a case by case basis. We are more concerned with footwear! This is the footwear they will need. Remember that these characters lived in POOR France in the late 1800s. They wouldn’t be wearing fancy shoes with embellishments. Our costumes are very realistic looking, so we need to compliment them with appropriate footwear. Please email me with any questions!
– GIRLS: They will need plain black or dark brown boots.
Make-up will be very natural for this show. EVERY CHILD needs to have coverage on their faces so that they aren’t drowned out by the lights. They do not need to have bright lips and bright cheeks, but even if their character “dies” during the show, they will not be seen under the lights. Every child must provide their own makeup to avoid sharing germs!
**Any parent who would like to assist with facial coverage please let me know***
Again, this will mostly be on a case by case basis, but for the most part, hair should look natural and “dirty”. The characters are poor, so they wouldn’t have had access to bathing or hair accessories.
BOYS: Please make sure hair is naturally colored and cut in a style appropriate for the 1800s.
GIRLS: Please make sure hair is naturally colored.
**CHORALE (7th/8th grade select chorus)
1. The Chorale schedule this year will Mondays and Wednesdays with sectionals on Fridays. You will not need to attend every Friday. This week the schedule is:
Monday- EVERYONE/ Wednesday- EVERYONE/ Friday- ALTO SECTIONAL
2. By Friday students can check on their individual voice parts online so they can practice at home.
3. Stay tuned for some future performances/trips for the Spring..!!
1. I hope everyone had a fantastic vacation! Like I mentioned above, students may go to my website by the end of the week to check on individual parts so they can practice at home.
2. The quarter ends on Jan. 26th, this Friday, if your child has any questions about their grades, they can come see me before and after school or during their lunch.
Thank you always for your continuous support. Have a great week!
All my best,